Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Rob Files - The Country Music Association of Ontario

"The Rob Files" are just various blogs about things I have done, my thoughts and opinions, etc.  This one is on the Country Music Association of Ontario.

A lot of you may not know that I was the person who kick started the creation of what is now known as the Country Music Association.  I was also it's Founding Director and first President.  Here is how the story goes...

8 to 10 years ago my wife, Lorraine Davies, recorded a professional CD.  The CD was Country Music and I wanted to help her get her music out there.  I figured the first thing to do was to find an association that could provide help and guidance.  At the time there  was the Canadian Country Music Association for all of Canada only. In Ontario, there had been a few attempts at an association, but nothing that lasted.  So, I decided to take a kick at the cat.  I knew a number of bands and performers that were Country based, so I talked to them.  There seemed to be an interest there.

I started promoting the formation of the Association through Facebook and found a few people that were willing to help with the organization and work.  They were a great help.  So myself, Lorraine and about ten others started to think about what we could do for Country Music in Ontario.

The first thing that we thought would be good was exposure.  We setup and got bands to come and perform at a number of Artist Showcases.  One was even at the Gibson Guitar Centre in downtown Toronto.  Jamie Warren came out and was our host.  We were on a shoe string budget but managed to cover the cost of Jamie and the sound man.  The showcases were very well received and had performers from all over Ontario, so we started asking for members.  Membership was only $10 and the money was to be used to form the non-profit organization.  It was well received and we had people joining from all parts of Ontario.

At the same time, my wife and I created the Too Drunk to Fish Band to back her up for Live performances.  It was a lot of fun.

The idea of the Association was to have it governed by artists, singers, musicians and songwriters.  The ones that risk the most in trying to get ahead in the industry.  We did not want too many industry members on the board, as they are the ones that stand to gain profit from the members.  I talked to a few country music industry individuals about helping.

Getting members was not to hard.  Getting board members was really hard.  The ones that the Association was to suppose to help were just not interested in putting any effort forth to help further their career.  So, to get the Association going, we turned to industry.  With the very gracious help of a songwriting benefactor, we had the money to form the non-profit Association.

The first board meeting was held.  At this first meeting, we elected the officers that would start the Association.  I even brought a friend of mine that was very experienced with non-profits in to the group.  Not really a Country fan, he volunteered to be the treasurer, and there was nobody better.  At the first meeting positions were assigned.  I was voted President and my friend was voted Treasurer.  The rest of the first meeting went well.

The second meeting is where it all fell apart.  One of the board members decided that I should not be President as I would use that position to take advantage of resources to further my musical career.  Now... I know The Too Drunk Band and Lorraine Davies are household names.  Right?  This completely came out of left field and it was not expected.  I was the one that setup all the resources that band could use to promote themselves and their gigs.  Yes, my band was one of them, but please!  Every band or performer that was a member could use it and they did.  The other shocking part is that it was thought that my friend should not be treasurer.  Now this really pissed me off.  That person was volunteering to help an organization that was starting up with all his knowledge and contacts.  This person that made these motions was a heavy in the Canadian Music Industry, so all of the other industry board members  agreed with motions because they thought this person could bring more industry and money to the table.  A motion was made, a vote was taken, and after only being the President for one month, I was out.  I was able to stay on the board if I wished, as was my friend.  My friend was not happy in the treatment he received and resigned.  I eventually faded away as I lost interest in the politics.

Having said all this... the Country Music Association has grown... membership is up... they have had awards show... so it was a good idea.  They have a lot of learning type seminars which is great.  But... to me... opportunities are the biggest thing.  Also, making it possible for Ontario Country Music Artists to make a comfortable living from Country Music would be good.  Helping them writing  songs and seminars help... but they need to make a living.

Getting a venue that pays decent money to perform in Ontario is harder and harder.  Bars are having a hard time.... people aren't going out as much.  Access to gigs that can pay a decent wage and radio airtime to me is a paramount item.  Radio airtime is important as it earns them royalties... music sales... and possibly gigs at better venues.

One of things I was planning to attack was the current CANCON rules.  CANCON stands for Canadian Content.  Right now... a song need only have 2 of 4 criteria to be Canadian.  Music... Artist... Production and Lyrices.  Artists outside of Canada have actually qualified as CANCON.  We need stiffer criteria... especially in the new artist area.  In Ontario... a certain number of songs should be set aside for new country artists from Ontario that have 3 or 4 of the criteria.  Otherwise, they will never break in to radio to any great degree as you are fighting US and outside of Ontario Artists and Major Canadian stars.

Second... when there is a country festival, there should be at least a 2 to 1 ratio for any American Stars playing at the event in Ontario.  So.. every big name outside of Canada star, there should be two Ontario country bands or artists.  There should be a minimum number of new Ontario artists as well.

Without these things there is no viable grassroots program for new artists.

To get these things done you would have to lobby the Provincial and Federal Governments.  Not a popular thing to do, but it needs to be done.  To date... I have seen no movement in these areas.

Award shows and seminars are great... but development is useless without opportunity.  The way I see it.

Anyways... that's the real story, plus some additional thoughts.  I wish them well, and wish them continued success in the future.  But I do hope they look into the opportunity area.  I do remain a Lifetime Member of the Country Music Association of Ontario.  The association does recognize me as the Founding Director.  I do thank them for that recognition.

Rob Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story of Three Men and Their Babies

The Story of Three Men and Their Babies - A Non-Fictional Short Story By Rob MacArthur The recent passing of Scott Crawford and Bruce Hyde h...