Monday, June 25, 2012

Needed My Parents Fix

I took the day off today and went to Kingston where my parents live to go visit them.  Even though I talk to them almost every day by phone or e-mail, I find if I don't get to seem at least once ever three or four weeks I start to get jumpy.  This is not only due to the fact that I am an only child, but it is also due to the fact that they are also my best friends, besides my parents.  They have always been there when I needed someone to confide in, talk to, or needed help.  I knew pretty early in life that I was blessed to have such great parents... who turned into great grand parents and great great grandparents.

What really hit home though several years back is that I am doubly blessed to still have both parents around to visit and spend time with.  Many of my friends don't.  I don't want to waste this gift of time with them, so I use it as much as I can.

Although I will always feel that I don't see them enough, I do my best.  After I see them, even just for a few hours, my need is fixed for a little while.

I guess this is also a good reason to be self employed.  It makes it easier to get time for things that are employment.

Back when I was a single father and needed time for my kids such as operations, doctors appointments, sickness, etc...  The Town of Ajax, where I was the Manager of Computer Systems, was not very sympathetic.  I ended up having to take vacation, as well as getting in shit from my supervisor, for having to take time off when I needed it to deal with single parenthood.

Looking to get back to work for some company full time, but it will be have to be one that thinks family and responsibilities are just as important as the company.  At least these days I don't have kids to take care of... just making sure I spend the proper time with my wife, parents, kids, grandkids, and friends.  Let me know if anyone knows if any companies like that are still around...

Time to go to lunch with my parents....

R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story of Three Men and Their Babies

The Story of Three Men and Their Babies - A Non-Fictional Short Story By Rob MacArthur The recent passing of Scott Crawford and Bruce Hyde h...